Come to Makaha on the beautiful west coast of Oahu for an unforgettable secluded tropical getaway. The shores and inland trails around Makaha seem undiscovered, even during the busiest seasons, and the extraordinary natural wonders of this landscape will take your breath away. Visitors from all over the world come to this part of Oahu to experience the vacation of a lifetime, and locals like to travel here to escape the crowds and bustle of Honolulu.
The huge waves and perfect surfing conditions near Makaha are legendary, especially in the wintertime when worldwide surfing competitions are often held here. The winter is also an excellent season for whale watching, since elusive and migratory species come close to the island during that time. While you're here, experience a real Hawaiian luau. Visit important local historic sites like the Kaneaki Heiau Temple and learn more about the life and culture of the island. And of course, explore the scenic beauty of Makaha's mountain trails and coral reefs.
Here are a few additional suggestions as you plan your trip:
- Play on the beach: Makaha Beach Park, Keawaula Beach, and several Oahu beaches close to Makaha are legendary for their sugary sand and clear blue waves. Swim, snorkel, go wakeboarding or just find a perfect place in the sun and relax.
- Hike the trails: Go hiking or biking along the scenic trails of the Waianae Mountain range.
- Have a dolphin encounter: Take a guided excursion by boat into protected dolphin habitats and have a close encounter with these curious and extraordinary creatures.
- Go scuba diving: The reef ecosystems around Oahu are some of the most brilliant and diverse in the world. See colorful fish, urchins, sea stars and a dazzling variety of marine life.
- Go surfing: The waves of Oahu draw champion caliber surfers from all over the world. There are plenty of excellent surf schools here that offer lessons for beginners and can help you get started.
- Take an eco-tour: Take a chartered boat trip with an experienced guide and learn more about the fragile ecosystems and protected marine life around Makaha.
You'll have no trouble finding an endless variety of fun and relaxing things to do here, and you'll also have no trouble finding a perfect place to stay. Book a vacation rental close your favorite activities. Rent an elegant villa just a few steps away from the beach or a luxury condo close to the restaurants and nightlife. As you explore Makaha, you may also want to take a short trip to the south to visit to Waianae or Makakilo City.
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.