Literally translating to "mountain reaching heaven," the area of Mauna Lani, is surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery in the state. The views of four different mountains throughout town, fields of black lava, and the sweeping coastline provide the backdrop for an unforgettable vacation.
Indulge in Hawaiian style treatments at one of the many spas throughout the area, stay active with the water activities, and try delicious local cuisine at some of the world-famous restaurants in Mauna Lani.
Be sure to also check out these attractions and destinations in and around the area:
- Eva Parker Woods Cottage: This historical landmark is several hundred years old and gives visitors insight into the traditional lifestyle that used to exist on the island.
- Fishpond Reserve: Spend an afternoon observing the more than 15 acres of pond and the wide range of exotic fish that are native to Hawaii.
- Puako Petroglyph Preserve: Walk the trails of this reserve to see the prehistoric fishing village and some of the caves that were used for shelter and protection from natural elements.
- Go to the Beach: There's no shortage of sandy white beaches and blue water in Mauna Lani. Holoholokai Beach is by far the most popular beach in the area for soaking up the sun or riding the waves.
- Kona Coffee Tours: Head to nearby Kona for tours of the local coffee plantations and try some free samples of your own.
Mauna Lani has live local entertainment throughout town most nights of the week, but is also within close proximity to many of the bigger regional and national festivals held on the Kohala Coast. Try extravagant dishes from some of the top chefs in Hawaii at the Christmas at Kona Village festival in December, watch surf films from around the world at the Kona Surf Film Festival in December, or cheer on the thousands of runners participating in the Hilo to Volcano 50K Ultra Marathon and Relay in January.
A vacation rental is the preferred option for those visiting Mauna Lani. Rent a condo just steps from the ocean and the roaring waves, or choose a spacious villa with high-end amenities that's steps from all the restaurants and shopping in the area.
As much as there is to do in Mauna Lani, what makes it such a great vacation getaway is that all the sights and activities of the Kohala Coast are so close by. You can reach the charming town of Kapa'au, the pristine sunsets from the top of Kohala Mountain, and the beautiful beaches of Waikoloa within a two-hour drive by car.
Great rentals within 20 miles that match your search
As featured in USA TODAY and recommended by Travel + Leisure in its annual Villa Guide:
New to FlipKey?
FlipKey is a vacation rental marketplace with more than 300,000 homes and rooms around the world. Find the perfect place to stay for your trip, and get great value along with the space, privacy and amenities of home.
Find the vacation rental perfect for you. Learn how.