With winter knocking on our doors travelers are starting to plan their escapes from hibernation, whether it be to the sun-soaked shores of Hawaii or the snowy slopes of Aspen. We compiled a list of the top ten vacation rental destinations of September so you can start planning your great escape…
1. Gulf Coast of Florida: It’s no wonder why Florida’s Gulf Coast is a consistently popular place to vacation. Famed for its iridescent beaches and a whole host of activities ranging from surfing and sun bathing to hiking and shopping, this is a fabulous spot for any group.
2. Outer Banks, North Carolina: These charming barrier islands draw a strong interest, and for good reason too. With hoards of light houses, sleepy towns and feral ponies running wild, the Outer Banks make for an ideal family vacation. Cape Hatteras is ideal for the adventurer, with its Diamond Shoals- the site of many demised ships. The snorkeling and scuba diving here are limitless.
3. Florida Keys: This chain of islands, which at the southern most tip reaches a mere 90 miles from Cuba, has an enticing laid back culture. Key West is one of the most attractive islands here, with Duval Street maintaining the heartbeat in this eclectic island. With Ernest Hemingway’s seven-toed cats running around the island, it’s hard not to get wrapped up in the allure of the island.
4. Disney- Orlando, Florida: Mickey, Minnie, Pluto…where else but Disney? Considered one of “the most magical places on earth”, Disney is a must for any child, regardless of age. With numerous theme parks in the area as well as some of the best dining in Orlando, a trip to this central Floridian city is sure to please everyone in the family.
5. Paris, France: Paris, the magnanimous capitol of France, serves as a cultural and financial leader in Europe while remaining one of the most visited cities in the world. With a vast array of activities to tempt unsuspecting visitors, like strolling the Seine River, taking in the awe inspiring stained glass of Notre-Dame, or feasting on the delicacies that each quaint café has to offer, Paris certainly lives up to its reputation.
6. Oregon Coast: The Oregon Coast, stretching for over 350 miles, is a delightful treat for any sun-seeking family. With the entire coast remaining public domain, there is endless opportunity for hiking, fishing, swimming, even just relaxing on the beach while seals frolic in the Pacific.
7. Gatlinburg, Tennessee: Gatlinburg serves as a doorway to some of Tennessee’s most spectacular natural sights. With the Smoky Mountains and Pigeon Forge lapping at the outer skirts, Gatlinburg offers plenty of activities for the adventurous family including the tram that floats above the majestic Smoky Mountains.
8. Kauai, Hawaii: With its lush, diverse tropical beauty and its brilliant ability to withstand any major resorts, Kauai remains as one of the most sought after Hawaiian Islands to visit. With the dense jade green rainforest in the interior and the crystal blue ocean lapping at the sandy white shores, Kauai’s immaculate natural beauty is worth the trip.
9. Maui, Hawaii: Maui, the sister island to Kauai, has its own unique vibe that attracts its own breed of Hawaiian travelers. With three volcanoes, some of which are still active, Maui beckons to be explored. Take an early morning hike up the Kaleakala volcano for an unrivaled glimpse of what has often been called the most beautiful sunrise in the world. Or spend the day sipping Mai Tais on the black sand beaches of Hana.
10. Aspen, Colorado: With winter fast approaching and many ski resorts opening their chair lifts already, it’s no surprise that Aspen comes in at our number 10 vacation destination. This city, which at its heart is a quaint ski town, has experienced a transformation over the past decade. The contrasting dualities of the town make it one of the most exciting places to visit, plus the excess of fresh powder makes Aspen/Snowmass one of the best places to ski in the world.